We had a backlog of mail to get through, so instead of doing our own reviews, this week we read out some listener favourites. Airdrie also gives us a review of Estee Lauder's Self Tan Spray.
Picks from our Listeners
- -Would like to hear your best and worst make-up counter experiences; she had a bad reaction while at the NARS counter...listen for details.
- -Her celebrity Crush: Chris Martin who makes her "want to lay on the floor and weep to death." She offers a cure for Coldplay-induced depression (warning: the clip is un-PC and may offend some listeners).
- Stila Major Lash mascara in Brown.
- Her "perfect red" is Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipgloss "Cherries in the Glow."
- Shop etc. magazine
"An excellent alternate use for the body oil is to mix it with Epsom Salt, and to make your own salt scrub! I've also done this with The Body Shop Massage oil, which is thicker. But, the Neutrogena Body Oil seeps in really nicely. I'd recommend that you only mix up enough for 1-2 uses, though. You don't want stuff growing in your scrub (ew.) Maybe about a 1/2 to 1 cup of salt, and enough oil to cover. Mix it until it's the consistency you want."
(can also be used with olive oil)
- "perfect red" lipstick is Gypsy from Nars
- bareMinerals, Bare Escentuals "Get Started Kit" It contains 2 SPF 15
- foundations, a mineral veil (sort of like a powder) and a bronzer.
- her favorite fragrances are L'Occitane The Vert au Jasmin, Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker and Bobbi Brown Beach
- -Sephora brand eyeshadow brush
- Her current perfume is the new version of Britney Spears' Curious "In Control"
- Stila "Perfecting Concealer"
- Philosophy "Cinnamon Buns Lip Shine"
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner
- Neutrogena Summer Glow Self-Tanner Lotion.
- Victoria's Secret Warm Vanilla Body Mist and Lotion
- Loves L'Oreal Voluminous. "It never lets me down!"
Estee Lauder Sun Performance,
Self Tan: Fast Tan Quick-Dry Sunless Spray ($35 CAD 125ml spray bottle). This product is wonderful on two counts. Firstly is smells great. It has a long-lasting fresh floral scent, and also develops less of a "self-tanner" smell than most products I've tried. Secondly, the colour I got from this product is great, and long lasting. I used it my first night in Hawaii before I went to bed, and in the morning had clean sheets and a deep dark tan. With skin like that I did not hesitate to slather myself in SPF 50 sunblocks. I returned with a tan and nice smooth un-dammaged skin. The product is similar to Glow Fusion, but about half the price. Thumbs Up! Note: The product I purchased did not have any SPF, while the product to the left (image) advertises SPF 15. Be sure to wear added sunblock when using this product.
Reality Check: Teens Obsessed with Tanning
(Source: TIME, August 7, 2006) READ ARTICLE
A recent survey has shown that 42% of girls have tried indoor tanning. Doctors fear that our Paris-Hilton-like obsession with brown skin may spell longterm increases in the rates of melanoma in our society. We talk about some tips for safe tanning (an oxymororn) in this podcast.
Fact: Did you know that Bob Marley died of melanoma? Even dark-skinned people need to protect their skin with sunblock.
Links from the show:
- Bethany Hamilton: surf-girl with style; new scent "Stoked"
- Teens Can Be Beautiful Too: new beauty website for teens.
- Rent This Movie: Friends With Money
- We're flattered to have been invited to Fashion Week in NYC: StyleLoungeNYC
- eyes•lips•face Lip Gloss Cell Phone Charms
Song this week:
"The Day I Turned To Glass" by
- Buy at iTunes Music Store
Download free: "Shadows" (MP3, 192kbps)
If you want to make an impact online, GoDaddy.com has what you need: .COM names as low as $1.99, plus world-class hosting, fast and easy website builders and much more. Plus, as a listener of Lip Gloss and Laptops, enter code gloss10 when you check out, and save an additional 10% on any order. Get your piece of the internet at GoDaddy.com.